TOTAL COMPENSATION is targeted at ~$400K - $500K. Compensation will be determined based on candidate’s credentials, performance and value added to the firm / department.
Position will ideally be located in NY but candidates in other locations will be considered.
We are NOT affiliated with any 3rd party jobs sites.
Please only apply for Ramax Search Positions through our portal at https://www.ramaxsearch.com/candidates/job-board/
Our client is a well-established asset manager serving a diverse client base including financial advisors, institutions, and individual investors. They offer multiple investment vehicles across a variety of investment disciplines specializing in energy, infrastructure and emerging technologies. The firm is experiencing rapid growth and they are in active capital raise mode (~$500 million over the past six months) and are looking to continue to grow AUM significantly over the next 2-3 years.
Currently our client seeks to hire a motivated, results-oriented General Counsel to lead their Legal and Compliance team. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of success overseeing all facets of a legal and compliance organization. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the General Counsel will serve a key member of the senior leadership team, offering strategic guidance to the firm as they continue their rapid growth. The role will also partner with other C-suite executives on executing the company’s vision, goals, and strategic growth opportunities by providing effective legal guidance on their implementation and structure.
Responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Direct oversight of all legal and compliance issues while serving as key legal advisor on all major transactions (acquisitions, joint ventures, etc…).
- Supervise 3 direct reports (Compliance and Legal) to identify all pressing issues and offer counsel to senior leadership to develop legal strategies and solutions.
- Preparing and leading the company toward the possibility of an IPO from a legal and compliance perspective
- Safeguarding for the company at the highest level, and ensuring the firm is entering agreements with the proper overarching legal mindset.
- Acting as a public-facing legal expert and representative of the organization to the investor community.
- Providing clear communication and recommendations to the management team and organization at large on legal and compliance guidance matters
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures, and programs.
- Understanding the strategy and objectives of the business to effectively and proactively communicate the risks and legal issues involved in any decision facing the executive leadership team and other relevant stakeholders.
- Advises on legal aspects of the company’s financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Providing input and legal support as a key member of the Executive Management team.
- J.D. / Advanced Legal Degree required.
- Entrepreneurial legal executive with a proven track record of supporting a business through transformational growth.
- Licensed to practice law and a member in good standing (ideally in New York, other states considered depending on candidate location)
- 10 years + of experience either in a law firm or legal position within asset management / securities industry / renewables energy industry
- Previous involvement in the public listing of a company/vehicle and solid understanding of the process
- Significant people management experience and hands-on, collaborative leadership style
- Strong communication skills, particularly in explaining and reporting information to stakeholders and other relevant entities
- Experience with closely held companies with preference given to those have worked closely on evaluating different monetization options (I.e. IPO vs VC funding).
- Innovative, enthusiastic mindset
- Renewable energy experience preferred, but not essential (someone who wants to be in renewables and believes in this message)
- Diverse candidates encouraged to apply.