Total compensation is targeted at $250K - $ 275K (base + bonus). To be determined on candidate's credentials, experiences, and potential value to the department / firm.
Legal & Compliance Counsel – Funds (Hedge & Private Equity)
Our client is a leading, global alternative investment firm, managing assets of approximately $10 billion, across hedge fund and private equity strategies. They focus on distressed and deep value opportunities, specializing in taking active roles in transactions through financial restructurings, serving on creditors’ committees, and / or leading business turnarounds.
The Legal & Compliance Counsel will report to the Senior Legal & Compliance Counsel and have extensive exposure to the Firm’s General Counsel.
Primary responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Responsible for oversight of outside counsel (and, where appropriate, personal involvement in) review and negotiation of NDAs of all kinds (LMA and LSTA debt/real estate/M&A, etc., Ad-Hoc Group Accession Letters, Co-operation Agreements etc. from birth to data entry in the Firm’s drives and document management system (in development).
- Providing legal support to Accounting (e.g. administrative, bank and custody agreements, Tax, Risk (various aspects of fund level (i.e. capital call subscription facilities) and asset backed financings).
- Drafting/reviewing and negotiation/advice on general corporate matters, including vendor contracts, consulting agreements, engagement letters, non-reliance letters and similar agreements.
- Assist with corporate governance matters and legal entity maintenance and support the formation and ongoing maintenance of fund structures (familiarity with entities in multiple jurisdictions such as DE, Cayman, Lux, Ireland, Netherlands, Jersey etc. required) – preparing and maintaining corporate documents such as meeting minutes, resolutions, bylaws and entity formation, dissolution/ plans of liquidation and structuring
- The role will require the individual to work closely with a bank debt settlement team and the Firm’s Operations team.
- Regularly spotting Advisers Act issues and other US and non-US regulatory issues facing the Firm; Assisting in the creation and maintenance of policies and procedures.
- Assisting with mock audits and regulatory exams/ coordinating responses to regulatory inquiries.
- Provide support, as needed, for all matters the Firms internal legal department is responsible for.
- Eagerness to work demanding work hours and ability to respond to matters as they come up in after hours situations. This is a critical “air traffic controller” position.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple time sensitive matters in a demanding, fast-paced and fluid environment.
- Team player
- Assertive but not aggressive
- Willingness to ask questions and pick up the phone as opposed to merely sending emails.
- Clarity and conciseness in writing and speech.
- JD and admission in good standing to the NY or CT bar; Admission in England and Wales a bonus
- 2-5 years of experience at a law firm or as in house counsel at a hedge fund or private equity fund adviser, focused on corporate matters, preferably including securities law and investment advisory matters
- Successful candidate would be expected to forge strong working relationships and maintain responsive, clear and consistent communication with senior individuals and departments across the firm.
- Excellent oral and written communication presentation skills
- Knowledge of credit markets and distressed trading documents a bonus