Total compensation is targeted at $400K - $ 450K. ($200K – $250K base + significant bonus) To be determined on candidate's credentials, experiences, and potential value to the department / firm.
Legal Counsel – Funds (Hedge & Private Equity)
Our client is a leading, global alternative investment firm, managing assets of approximately $10 billion, across hedge fund and private equity strategies. They focus on distressed and deep value opportunities, specializing in taking active roles in transactions through financial restructurings, serving on creditors’ committees, and / or leading business turnarounds.
Currently our client seeks to hire a hedge fund/private equity fund (formation) attorney to serve as a key member of their growing legal team. Position will report directly to the General Counsel. Candidates must have at least four (4) years of legal experience, (including private equity fund formation) in a large law firm setting, as well as experience negotiating side letter agreements, placement agreements, general partner agreements and other investment management related contracts. In-house experience in the context of direct investment funds (as opposed to fund of funds) is likely required, as well.
Candidates MUST have excellent attention to detail across all endeavors as the ability to accurately draft documentation and to supervise outside counsel’s precision in drafting is essential. The position will require a highly-technical lawyer that possesses sound judgement and excellent soft skills.
Candidate should have solid understanding of the full lifecycle of closed-end funds and the significant events of open-ended funds as they manage these partnerships.
Familiarity and prior experience with review of marketing material (monthly and quarterly letters, etc.) in accordance with SEC staff guidance for compliance with the Adviser’s Act is strongly preferred.
Responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Act as the lead lawyer for all aspects of the firm’s (i) distressed debt hedge fund product, and (ii) the Firm’s Dislocation Fund product (PE-style fund) and (iii) various funds of one/managed accounts), from term sheet negotiations, drafting the private placement memorandum, drafting limited partnership agreements, negotiation of side letter agreements and supervising closings, interpreting key provisions, administration, wind-down, liquidation, etc.
- Reviewing a high volume of marketing material. Acting as reviewer and approver with respect to investor communications and marketing materials. Liaise with the Investor Relations Department to ensure legal compliant investor communications and marketing materials.
- Draft term sheets and, with support from and in supervision of outside counsel, negotiate third-party placement agreements, private wealth platform agreements and associated side letters and other agreements.
- Act as principal draftsperson on complicated policies and procedures as designated by the General Counsel or the Chief Operating Officer, as applicable.
- Coordinate the preparation and filing of all legal aspects of US and foreign regulatory filings (e.g., Williams Act Filings, AIFMD filings, Form ADV, Bad Actor questionnaires, etc.)
- Reviewing other contracts and agreements (vendor contracts, etc.) as requested from time to time.
- At least 4 years of experience in the investment management group of a respected law firm (or combo experience - law firm & alternative investment management firm)
- Significant experience working in investment management. Specifically fund formation (private equity and/or hedge fund)
- Precision in legal drafting
- Highly detail oriented
- Fast learner
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills. This position has meaningful exposure to the Chief Operating Officer (to whom the General Counsel reports) and the Head of Investor Relations.
- Comfortable operating autonomously with respect to ‘owning’ the regulatory and documentation associated with the Fund families under supervision and knowing when to ask questions
- Strong organizational and project management skills; with excellent follow-through and delivery.
- This position provides an opportunity to practice law at a demanding pace and the highest level within a collegial environment