Total Compensation is targeted at $115 - $140K. To be determined based on candidate's credentials, experiences, and potential value to the department / firm.
Position will be hybrid and employees can work out of either NYC or Long Island office.
Product Controller / Accountant
Our client is a leading, well-established independent investment bank, focused on delivering high-quality investment ideas and investment banking services to institutional investors and corporate clients. Their services include fixed income strategy, corporate finance, and advisory investment banking. The fixed income business provides sales, trading, and banking services on a wide range of mortgage and asset-backed, US Treasury and government agency securities, structured products, loans, corporate bonds and municipal securities. The investment banking practice specializes in capital raising and advisory services with a focus on private placements, securities underwriting and merger and acquisition-related services to corporate clients.
Currently they seek to hire a product controller and accountant to report directly to the COO, and support finance functions across the firm. Ideal candidate should be able to work independently and serve as a trusted advisor to firm senior management.
Responsibilities will include (but not be limited to:
- Work directly with the Small Business Administration product division to prepare daily P/L on both open positions and executed securitized lending deals.
- Maintain inventory of positions and reconcile to both external third-party confirmations and related clearing companies
- Ensure that positions are included in firm’s risk- based haircut capital program
- Track cash activity and net margin trading with external custodian
- Reconcile repurchase/triparty agreements with external counterparties and record activity to General Ledger
- Ensure that month end positions are properly marked-to-market and properly recorded to G/L
- Work closely with firm Asset Backed Securities SPV division to maintain inventory of purchased loans and repurchased agreements for each securitized underwriting
- Track cash activity on purchased loans and repurchase agreement
- Ensure that month end positions are properly marked-to-market and booked to G/L
- Calculate accreted interest on outstanding loan positions
- Serve as backup for fixed income product line control including daily P/L, futures and options margin usage, trading revenue analysis by trader and firm-wide; calculate firm-wide and trader daily margin calculations; reporting of excess net capital and capital haircuts by product line; reconcile trading and non-trading accounts to clearing organization.
- Perform month end futures and options P/L accounting
- Prepare monthly internal managerial financial statements by legal entity, combined and consolidated
- Assist with annual close process including the preparation of audited financial statements
- Prepare various footnote disclosures for audited financial statements
- Prepare and respond to ad hoc analysis and inquiries across firm
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting / Finance (or related field)
- 4+ years’ experience in financial services
- Experience as a product / legal entity controller/financial reporting experience or middle office associate in a broker dealer setting would be helpful.
- Candidates should have solid experience working with fixed income products, preferably Mortgage Backed Securities.
- Ability to effectively communicate with traders, business heads and senior management on a variety of financial matters
- Strong strategic, analytical and organization skills with the ability to work on multiple tasks and with multiple stakeholders in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to partner and work effectively both with direct team members and with colleagues across the wider organization
- Proficient in MS Office, specifically a strong command in Excel and PowerPoint