Total Compensation is targeted at $250K - $325K. To be determined based on candidate's credentials, experiences, and potential value to the department / firm.
Senior Legal Counsel
Company is headquartered in NYC. Position can be office based / hybrid.
Our client is a Nationally Recognized Statistical Ratings Organization (NRSRO) and is recognized by The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and The European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) as a Credit Rating Provider. They serve as a global integrated risk assessment firm that empowers organizations to make better decisions by issuing timely and accurate ratings. Long established as a leading global provider of independent ratings, their platform offers greater transparency, more informed decisions, and fair access to information coupled with competitive pricing and cutting-edge technology. Currently they are seeking to hire a Senior Counsel to report directly to the General Counsel and play a key role in fostering rapid growth throughout the organization.
The Senior Counsel will work directly with the General Counsel to identify legal issues in all departments and their interrelation including ratings, marketing, sales, compliance, information technology, proxy, accounting and finance, and human resources. This role will also focus heavily on corporate governance and business policy matters. The legal team helps the firm in critical areas such as crisis management, compliance reporting and public policy advocacy.
Responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Liaise directly with external counsel to resolve matters including corporate legal matters, compliance and regulatory obligations associated with the firm’s status as an NRSRO, securities law, and related legal matters as necessary.
- Establish a sound understanding of firm business practices, formulating business strategies to guide business operations and development
- Identify and mitigate legal, operational and compliance risks and provides guidance to the Firm to help ensure business success
- Work with GC to foster firm growth initiatives in all areas including M&A, new entities, expansion, new offices, etc…
- Implements employment and labor law best practices
- Manages firm contracts including NDAs, vendor management including involvement with budget, expenses, office leases, etc...
- Represent the Firm in matters pertaining to legal inquiries (subpoena, etc.), allegations, arbitration, trials, etc.
- Obtain competency in SEC 17g, 15E, and other applicable laws and regulations
- Supports the Firm’s compliance and internal control infrastructure
- Oversee determination of securities type for the rated instruments, such as Sovereign/municipal/ABS types that the Firm plans to rate (feasibility analysis)
- Represent the Firm to outside regulatory authorities including the SEC in matters pertaining to regulatory and compliance examinations, helps the firm prepare for SEC on-site examinations, responds to SEC exam findings and recommendations, etc.
- Facilitates business expansion through new licenses and registrations
- Support the Firm’s Public Relations function and issue Firm press releases, as appropriate
- Ad hoc projects as deemed appropriate by the CEO and senior management.
- Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited U.S. school of law
- Admission in good standing to the New York Bar. Other states considered as well.
- 7+ years of experience as a practicing attorney at either: a ratings agency, reputable law firm, or in-house at a financial services firm. (Bank, Asset / Investment Management firm, Fund, Insurance, Brokerage firm, or securities regulator (i.e. FINRA/SEC)). (Combination and/or similar experiences considered)
- Candidates with extensive experience in credit ratings is a plus (17g and 15E)
- Practical knowledge of, and experience providing advice regarding laws, rules and regulations relating to financial services firms.
- Successful candidate is expected to forge strong working relationships and maintain responsive, clear, and consistent communication with senior individuals and departments across the firm.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proactive, strategic, entrepreneurial mindset
- Sound understanding of business; good judgement and integrity.