Total compensation is targeted at ~$350K - ~$400K. To be determined based on candidate’s credentials, performance and value added to the firm / department
Senior Attorney / General Counsel
Our client is a full-service investment advisory and brokerage services firm (FINRA member & SEC registered for ~40 years). With 15 US office locations they provide wealth management, institutional, and corporate services with access to a wide array of products and offerings, including investment advisory, fixed income, retail services and insurance; equity capital markets, debt capital markets and mergers & acquisitions; and sales and trading.
The General Counsel will have hands on responsibility for all firm legal matters to ensure legal and regulatory compliance with applicable rules and regulations. The overall objective of this role is to provide legal support, advice, and guidance across a broad range of areas. As the firm is in active growth mode, this position will have dynamic responsibilities that will evolve over time.
Responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Provide guidance on a wide range of day-to-day legal issues, primarily those related to investment advisory and brokerage services to ensure legal and regulatory compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Maintain the Watch & Restricted List for the firm
- Work closely with Senior Management team providing legal counsel on all firm initiatives (short, medium & long term). Participate in investment committee meetings as an active voting member
- Oversight and review of all applicable firm policies and execution of agreements (NDAs. Engagement Agreements, SPAS, Placement Agent Agreements, and Underwriting agreements)
- Prepare and review materials for compliance with various SEC/FINRA rules, including internal diligence standards
- Prepare and complete (in conjunction with outside counsel) regulatory filings, including, but not limited to those pursuant to FINRA Rules 5110, 5121 and 5123, as well as certain compliance related filings
- Communicate with compliance and banking departments on Reg M filings and maintenance
- Analyze complex issues and provide actionable advice including review of regulatory inquiries, responses, and work directly with outside counsel to respond accordingly
- Serve as point person with external counsel and various stakeholders, while establishing best practices for legal and compliance while and guiding stakeholders across the firm.
- Conduct regular reviews of investment banking and capital markets personnel and compliance
- Participate in daily calls (2) with the investment banking and capital markets teams for review of transactions
- Work directly with compliance or outside counsel regarding any compliance or regulatory questions raised by banking or capital markets
- Conduct regular interviews of personnel and review of materials such as the firm’s WSPS and OTW procedures to make sure they are current
- Prepare quarterly memos for the investment banking and capital markets team on “hot button” items for FINRA & any other regulatory body
- Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited U.S. school of law
- 6+ years of experience as a practicing attorney at either: a reputable law firm, a securities regulator (i.e. FINRA/SEC), or in-house at an investment advisory / brokerage services firm. (Combination and/or similar experiences considered)
- Practical knowledge of and experience providing advice regarding laws, rules and regulations relating broker-dealers generally (FINRA/SEC), and experience related to Alternative Investments distribution
- Experience drafting and negotiating a variety of corporate and third-party agreements including, but not limited to: nondisclosure, private placement, licensing, subscription, professional services, vendor, software, broker/dealer, trading, counterparty, research providers, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills